PRP Therapy Harnessess Your Body's Own Healing Power
And Delivers It Where You Need It Most.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy heals a wide range of health conditions including:
- Damaged muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Joint pain or degeneration
- Effectively restores hair growth and rejuvenates your skin.
PRP therapy is a simple treatment where you blood is drawn and put through a centrifuge to increase the concentration of healing cells or platelets. Then it's injected into areas of inflammation and injury to promote faster healing.
Dr. Seth Camhi at Katalyst Wellness in San Diego specializes in PRP therapy to help patients regain optimal function and get back in the game.
Heal Faster—You Don't Have To Live With Joint Pain
You've got nothing to lose but your pain...Schedule a free consultation, today!
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment FAQs
What is platelet-rich plasma?
PRP is plasma that has a higher concentration of platelets than the amount found in whole blood. The higher concentration is needed to produce a therapeutic effect during PRP therapy.
Dr. Camhi produces PRP on site using your own blood. After he draws your blood, he places it in a centrifuge, where rapid spinning separates platelet-rich plasma from other blood components.
The prepared PRP is injected using ultrasound imaging to ensure the needle is placed into the damaged area. The entire process, including centrifugation and injection time, takes about 90 minutes.
How do platelets promote healing?
Platelets are naturally found in your blood, where they’re rich sources of proteins called growth factors. When you’re injured, growth factors promote healing and trigger new tissue growth.
When platelets are injected into injured or diseased areas they:
- Reduce inflammation and pain
- Heal and repair tissues
- Trigger production of blood vessels
- Trigger production of tissues such as collagen, fat, muscle, and connective tissues
- Stimulate bone regeneration
- Recruit stem cells to the damaged area
- Increase stem cell effectiveness
What conditions are treated with PRP injections?
A variety of medical problems and cosmetic concerns benefit from PRP injections, including:
- Musculoskeletal problems: PRP treats many types of musculoskeletal conditions, including tendon, ligament, and muscle injuries, and chronic conditions such as Achilles tendonitis, rotator cuff tears, iliotibial band (IT) syndrome, and torn knee ligaments. It’s also beneficial for treating knee osteoarthritis, where it relieves pain and improves joint function. Virtually any diseased or damaged joint in your body can benefit from PRP injections. Dr. Camhi also performs PRP trigger point injections into the neck, back, and other tender areas.
- Hair restoration: PRP effectively treats male and female pattern baldness. When it’s injected into your scalp, it stimulates follicles to heal and grow hair.
- Facial rejuvenation: When PRP is injected or infused into your skin, it promotes production of collagen and other tissues that rejuvenate your appearance. Your skin becomes tighter and better toned, while frown and laugh lines are diminished.
How many treatments will you need?
After Dr. Camhi reviews your medical history and completes a thorough physical exam, he can determine the best treatment plan for your condition.
The number of PRP injections you may need depends on how long you’ve had your problem and the severity of your condition. In many cases, patients need about three treatments done about two weeks apart to achieve optimal results.